Surprisingly affordable EVs under $70k
Perks of going electric
- Save almost $5k every year in fuel – According to the latest AAA Transport Affordability Index report, the average two-car household pays $4,940 in fuel every year.
- Don’t stress about stamp duty – To encourage more people to invest in EVs, almost all state governments are waiving or discounting stamp duty.
- Fancy a rebate? – As of September 2023, New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia are offering cash rebates of up to $3,500 for certain types of EVs.
Australia’s top EVs under $70k
- Price: From $38,890
- Range: 410 km (Dynamic), 490 km (premium)
- Things we love: Wireless phone charging, 360-degree camera suite and four flashy colours to help you make a statement.
- Price: From $39,990
- Range: 310km (Dynamic), 490 km (premium)
- Things we love: Wireless phone charging, safety features like blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise control and, honestly, it’s just damn cute.
- Price: From $40,287
- Range: 350 km (Dynamic), 490 km (premium)
- Things we love: Reverse camera, keyless entry and electric outside mirrors with a heating function to manage the morning frost without freezing your fingers off.
BYD Atto 3
- Price: From $44,400
- Range: 410 km (Standard Range), 480 km (Extended Range)
- Things we love: Built-in safety features like lane departure warning and intelligent cruise control, 8-year battery warranty, and collapsible back seats for oodles of boot space.
- Price: From $45,287
- Range: 320km
- Things we love: Push-to-start, built-in navigation on a colour touch screen and a 360 View Camera for easy parking.
- Price: From $52,500
- Range: 311 km
- Things we love: Panoramic fixed glass roof, heated front seats and safety features like traffic sign recognition and 360-degree parking sensors.
- Price: From $53,550
- Range: 270km (Leaf), 385 km (Leaf+)
- Things we love: Intelligent Around View Monitor with Moving Object Detection, Bose 7-speaker sound system and, of course, heated seats.
- Price: From $59,990
- Range: 511km
- Things we love: Panoramic infotainment system, clever Park Assist technology and Seaqual Bucket Seats made from plastic waste extracted from the ocean.
Tesla Model 3
- Price: From $61,900
- Range: 513 km (Rear-Wheel Drive model), 629 km (Long Range AWD model)
- Things we love: Different modes, like Dog Mode to keep your pets comfy and Sentry mode to be notified about potential nearby threats, remote access from your phone and insanely fast charging – 15 minutes at a Superchargers gives you an additional 282km of range. Not bad!
All-new Hyundai Kona Electric
- Price: To be announced
- Range: 342 km (Standard Range), 490 km (Long Range)
- Things we love: New, futuristic design, loads of boot space and autonomous braking.
Mazda MX-30 Electric
- Price: From $65,490
- Range: 224 km
- Things we love: Keyless entry, emergency brake assist, heated seats and a glass sunroof.
- Price: From $66,999
- Range: 532 km (Standard range), 654 km (Long range)
- Things we love: Loads of design options to customise your ride, adaptive high beam and battery-minded route planning that helps you get the most out of every charge.
MINI Cooper SE Electric Hatch
- Price: From $69,800
- Range: 233 km
- Things we love: Charges to 80% in just 36 minutes, adaptive cruise control and MINI app that tells you everything from charging status to whether or not the doors are locked.